Sharon Claydon is a fifth-generation Novocastrian. She was first elected in September 2013, becoming just the sixth Federal Member for Newcastle since Federation in 1901.
Sharon is an Honours graduate in Anthropology and, before entering Parliament, worked in remote Aboriginal communities and the community-based disability services sector. She also served in local government as a Newcastle City Councillor.
In the Federal Parliament Sharon is the Deputy Speaker.
Sharon is the Chair of the the Joint Select Committee on Parliamentary Standards. She is also a member of the House of Representatives Committees for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs, Appropriations and Administration and Privileges and Members' Interests, as well as the Joint Standing Committee for National Capital and External Territories.
She has previously served as a member of the Reference Group on the National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse.
As a member of the Federal Labor Caucus, Sharon is the Chair of the Federal Labor Caucus and Labor's Status of Women Committee. She is also the Commonwealth of Australia representative to the Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Steering Committee for the Australia region.
Sharon is committed to social justice and throughout her career has worked to improve the lives of working people. She is passionate about fighting discrimination and ensuring we leave a better world for the next generation.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Newcastle, New South Wales, 2013
- Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives from 26.7.2022.
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 25.3.15 to 11.4.2022.
- House of Representatives Standing: Appropriations and Administration from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Publications from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016 (Deputy Chair from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016); Indigenous Affairs from 19.10.2015 to 9.5.2016; Indigenous Affairs from 15.9.2016 to 11.4.2022; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 15.9.2016 to 11.4.2022 (Deputy Chair from 23.7.2019 to 11.4.2022); Appropriations and Administration from 28.7.2022; Privileges and Members' Interests from 28.7.2022; Selection from 28.7.2022;
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Select: Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse from 7.12.2017 to 2.4.2019 (Deputy Chair from 15.2.2018 to 2.4.2019); Implementation of the National Redress Scheme from 24.10.2019 to 11.4.2022 (Deputy Chair from 5.12.2019 to 11.4.2022); Parliamentary Standards from 17.2.2022 (Chair from 4.8.2022); Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs (Aboriginal Affairs before 4.5.1992) from 28.7.2022.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 15.9.2016 to 1.7.2019; Parliamentary Library from 23.7.2019 to 11.4.2022; National Capital and External Territories from 28.7.2022.
- Member, ALP Newcastle Branch from 1999
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (NSW) from 2002
- Member, ALP Reconciliation and Indigenous Affairs Committee (NSW) 2002-07
- Delegate, ALP National Conference from 2007
- Member, ALP Administrative Committee (NSW) 2007-13
- Chair of the Australian Labor Party Caucus
- Chair, ALP Caucus Status of Women Committee