Sharon Claydon is the Federal Member for Newcastle elected in September 2013, becoming just the sixth member for Newcastle since Federation in 1901.
Sharon is Deputy Chair of the House of Representatives Social Policy and Legal Affairs Standing Committee and serves on the House Indigenous Affairs Committee and the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defense and Trade.
She is also Deputy Chair of the Joint Select Committee on the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse - Oversight of redress related recommendations, and serves as a member of the National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse Reference Group.
In March 2015, she became a Member of the Speaker’s Panel, deputising for the Speaker in the House of Representatives.
As a member of the Federal Labor Caucus, she is the Chair of the Status of Women Committee and Chair of the Medicare Taskforce. Sharon is also Co-Convenor of the Parliamentary Friends of Carers and Co-Convenor of the Parliamentary Friends of the United Nations.
Sharon is a fifth generation Novocastrian with strong connections to her local community. She is an Honours graduate in Anthropology and, before entering Parliament, worked in remote Aboriginal communities and the community-based disability services sector. Sharon also served in local government as a Newcastle City Councillor.
Sharon is a strong advocate for social justice, equality and sustainability.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Newcastle, New South Wales, 2013.
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 25.3.15.
- House of Representatives Standing: Appropriations and Administration from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; Publications from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 4.12.13; Indigenous Affairs from 10.15;
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Member, ALP Newcastle Branch from 1999.
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (NSW) from 2002.
- Member, ALP Reconciliation and Indigenous Affairs Committee (NSW) 2002-07.
- Delegate, ALP National Conference from 2007.
- Member, ALP Administrative Committee (NSW) 2007-13.
- Chair, ALP Caucus Status of Women Committee.
- Chair, ALP Medicare Taskforce.
- Member, ALP Caucus Social Policy Committee.
Watch Sharon’s First Speech to Parliament here: