Sharon Claydon is a fifth-generation Novocastrian. She was first elected in September 2013, becoming just the sixth Federal Member for Newcastle since Federation in 1901.
Sharon is an Honours graduate in Anthropology and, before entering Parliament, worked in remote Aboriginal communities and the community-based disability services sector. She also served in local government as a Newcastle City Councillor.
In the Federal Parliament, Sharon is Deputy Chair of the House of Representatives Social Policy and Legal Affairs Standing Committee, Deputy Chair of the Joint Select Committee on the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse - Oversight of redress related recommendations and an active member of the House Indigenous Affairs Committee.
She has previously served as a member of the Reference Group on the National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse.
As a member of the Federal Labor Caucus, Sharon is the Chair of the Status of Women Committee. She is also Commonwealth of Australia representative to the Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Steering Committee for the Australia region, Co-Convenor of the United Nations Parliamentary Friendship Group, and Co-Chair of the Australian TB Caucus.
In March 2015, Sharon became a Member of the Speaker’s Panel, deputising for the Speaker in the House of Representatives.
She is a tireless advocate for social justice, equality and sustainability.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Newcastle, New South Wales, 2013
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 25.3.15.
- House of Representatives Standing: Appropriations and Administration from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; Publications from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 4.12.13; Indigenous Affairs from 10.15;
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Member, ALP Newcastle Branch from 1999
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (NSW) from 2002
- Member, ALP Reconciliation and Indigenous Affairs Committee (NSW) 2002-07
- Delegate, ALP National Conference from 2007
- Member, ALP Administrative Committee (NSW) 2007-13
- Chair, ALP Caucus Status of Women Committee
- Chair, ALP Medicare Taskforce (2016-2019)
- Member, ALP Caucus Social Policy Committee