$150,00 GRANTS POOL FOR NEWCASTLE COMMUNITY GROUPS NOW OPEN
Sharon Claydon MP has encouraged Newcastle community groups to consider putting in an Expression of Interest for a chance of securing up to $20,000 in funding for small capital projects.
Ms Claydon said there was a total funding pool of $150,000 would be available through the 2019 Newcastle Stronger Communities Grants program.
“The program will provide matched funding for cash or in-kind contributions for projects which will improve local community participation,” Ms Claydon said.
“Community-based not-for-profit organisations and local governing bodies are eligible to apply for grants of between $2,500 and $20,000.
“Resource-stretched community organisations often struggle to raise the funds for capital works and new equipment but these grants are a great way to secure much-needed upgrades.
“Whether it’s an upgrade to current facilities, new sports equipment, improvements for disability access or a fit-out of a community centre, there’s a wide range of projects that could be eligible under this program. I encourage all eligible groups to lodge applications for projects that will help build a strong and healthy community.”
In the 2018 round:
- Hunter Multicultural Communities received $15,000 to construct a café
- ACON received $19,000 to refurbish its community health facility
- Dress for Success received $10,000 for an office fitout
- Nobby’s Surf Life Saving Club received $10,500 towards equipment including an all-terrain vehicle (pictured and attached)
- Islamic Centre of Newcastle received $19,000 to upgrade kitchen facilities
- Tantrum Theatre received $19,000 to fit out a multipurpose space.
Expressions of Interest close on Sunday 15 September. Applications will be assessed by a panel with strong links to the community.
More information including eligibility details and timelines for applying is available at http://www.sharonclaydon.com/stronger_communities_program
SUNDAY, 11 AUGUST 2019
MEDIA CONTACT: REBECCA WILLETTS 0425 442 148